Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Being stingy...Think about it.

Today's message is to broaden oneself. Very often our middle class mind is so stingy about so many things. We don't mind spending on a fancy phone but will think at least twice before sending a 50p message from it. 'Oh, I don't have that special messaging pack.' Hey you bought this diary and it is just too costly. In Parrys it is very cheap, you could have gone all the way there and bought a dozen such diaries.

One of my uncles actually did an extensive research before buying a Samsung TV. He compared prices of so many TV sets. Sony he said was the best but it is just too costly. He also compared the price of the same TV set in various other shops and he traveled a long distance to go to the shop of his choice and buy the TV set. It took him nearly two months to decide and buy it. Though he could afford to buy the Sony TV, his mind wouldn't let him do it.

His is not the only case. Almost all of us do it in our daily lives. We restrict ourselves. We don't think big. We are just too stingy to spend a little extra money and for saving a bit we end up wasting so many joules of energy. I will tell an example from my case. Having a printer is quite a nuisance. When my cartridge wouldn't work, I had to decide in buying a cheap recycled one or an expensive new one. I also got deceived by the lady's marketing skills and so I bought the recycled one. I had a shock of my life when I learn't that it didn't work properly. How much of my energy got wasted in trying to repair it. My printer just wouldn't accept it. All the ink too got wasted in printing test pages. I really felt angry, bitter and my peace of mind went in order to just save a few hundreds.

I am not saying not to be calculative. It is very good to be careful in spending money. When you invest in a cheap product, 'Ha! I got this in a discount sale.' you must also be strong enough to accept that it might just not work as good as you think.

First things first. No amount of wealth is going to substitute for health- both mental and physical. Nothing ever is cheap or costly in the market. It is all a deception, a mirage and an illusion. It is a perfect business strategy to lure people in buying things. One might think that he/she has achieved something great buying things for a seemingly low price. God only knows what other sacrifice comes with it. Net worth of everything and everyone is the same in the end.

There is always a thin line between spending too much and spending for quality. One must be well aware of the circumstances. I see that many people have written books on this subject and it is quite an old topic. But there is nothing wrong in expressing my viewpoint. After all it is my thought for the day!

2 comments:

  1. My dad is just like your uncle. The only difference is that my dad wud take years to decide on a thing... At the time wen he finally decides to buy something we totally lose interest in buying it. If my mom or I decide quickly and buy something in a shop, he wud say that we dont have any sales resistance! :(

    ReplyDelete