Saturday, April 30, 2011

Parents-Love them with all Thy might!

I am quite in the sentimental mood right now. I just now watched a movie called Bhoothnath aired on Sahara One. Actually I was reluctant to watch it for a long time thinking it was too childish for my taste. But I was wrong. I don't wish to write a review of the movie now for that is not my purpose. Whatever I try to do, say, experience, I try to make some inner meaning out of it. My friends would make fun of me. They often feel I take everything too seriously. Well, not everything, at least not what they think!

'Rasa' and 'Bhava' are two of my favourite words in Samskritam. Rasa means sentiment and Bhava means feeling. These two words define who we are and how we are seen by others. I liked the rasa part of the movie I watched today and the rasas are love, affection, caring and respect towards elderly especially our parents.

It is very good to have high prospects and be ambitious in life, aiming for extreme comfort, prosperity and joy. How many children just leave their parents here in India neglecting them if not totally at least partially and go abroad? We all expect our parents to listen to us always and the ego we derive especially from being financially independent causes us to have so many arguments and fights with them. We must always try to make our parents happy, thats what we are born here for and it should be done not for duty sake alone but with genuine love, care and affection.

Dealing with people especially the elderly is a real challenge, I know! They will have so many preferences, tastes, habits which they will not be willing to give up whatsoever but we should never lose patience for they had never lost theirs to bring us up to the stage we are now.

I am often so rude to my parents. I shout at them, I misunderstand them, get irritated with them. I should change myself. I should have complete faith and trust in them. They always seem to forgive me for all that I have said and the wounds that I have caused them. That makes me feel even more bad and miserable.

I have not seen the Gods I worship sometimes. With my half baked faith I imagine that The Almighty is present and guides me throughout my lifetime. At present, I am beginning to feel more and more that Love is God and God is Love. God is 100% my parents who pulls me up during my times of trouble.

There is a beautiful poem by Rabindranath  Tagore titled 'Upagupta'. It is easy to be with a person when he or she is very prosperous and is very happy. The person who stays, lends a shoulder in times of trouble, who showers unconditional love upon you is the one whom we call as God. It can be anyone in life, but for me God is in the form of my parents and for me to have true faith in God is to have faith in my parents.

There is no point in going to a religious place and worshiping in a ritualistic manner a thousand Gods if you neglect, disrespect and disregard your loved ones. Hope I keep this etched strongly in me and follow this thumb rule throughout life.

3 comments:

  1. Hey mira.. what you have written is very sweet and wonderful.. Hats off to you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved this post sooo much :-)
    I hav one doubt :p is this a way u wanna say s to ur parent's wishes about ur marriage ?? :-p

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes...I am very much an extremist in that view. Everything should be decided only by my parents. Nothing moves in my life without their consent.

    ReplyDelete